Saturday, November 10, 2007

RAMBLING: Smooth Me Out

I have a friend who is hardcore granola, she cloth diapers, buys everything organic, you name it. And I totally admire her. She's the first person I turn to when I need ideas on nutrition for LLB and even myself.

Recently I was trying to get more good for you foods in our systems and she told me about her smoothie recipe. I realize she's not the ONLY one to make this smoothie, but all my credit goes to her for this fabulous recipe.

You'll need a whey or soy protein powder, flax seed oil, bananas, frozen peaches, vanilla yogurt, dairy or soy milk and mango or blueberries (I prefer mango). My friend uses a powder from Trader Joes called Very Green which adds some veggie nutrients, blueberries help disquise the smoothie from being green. At her recommendation I buy all frozen organic fruits, except for banana which I buy fresh and chop up and freeze before it turns brown. You can sub out the organic as you see fit, you'll get the same fruit benefits without it. For the milk I actually use Vanilla Soy milk but you can certainly use whole milk. For the whey powder I do a vanilla flavored one.

I put the fruit in first, for LLB and I put in about 1/2 a banana, 4 peach slices, 4 mango chunks then about a cup of yogurt and a cup of milk, 1-2 teaspoons of flax seed oil, 1 scoop of whey protein powder and I blend. I usually add the powder after I blend the first ingredients so that it blends into the liquids properly. The trick is to make one and learn from there. For the first few times I changed my recipe a little to get it just right.

It's a nice filling snack, I do it primarily after breakfast or for the after nap snack. LLB loves it and I feel great knowing she's getting a great serving of fruit and other nutrients!

Blended Just Right,
Bronwyn

No comments: