Wednesday, October 3, 2007

REVIEW: Swings -- The Third Parent

OK, so I heard someone, though for the life of me I can't remember who, refer to their swing JOKINGLY as the third parent in their household! I hate to admit it, but I agree completely. I FELL IN LOVE early on with the Fisher-Price Papasan set. I wanted the swing and the bouncy seat. The materials looked so plush and felt so soft and the colors were muted and simple. I had to have it. As usual, my lust was for a more expensive item. My husband laughed at me, though this was nothing new!

In the end, I won, and I won cheaply! I found the swing on Craigslist... BARELY used for half the full price. I brought it home at least 3 months (if not more) before LLB was due. I folded it up in the corner of her nursery, and just waited. I feel like I stared at that thing forever, just sitting there. But I knew soon I would put it to use.

Finally my day came, we brought her home. That night she was fussy, I was TIRED and my hubby was in the living room playing on the computer. So I put her in her swing and tried to sleep. Now I won't lie to you and say that it completely entertained her. It certainly helped that night and for many more that came after. She took MANY naps in it, and I'm so glad I had it! The manufacturer warns you not to let babies sleep in the swing because of SIDS ... so please use your best judgement!

Certainly check your local classified ads, you can likely get a good deal on this. The seat cushion is COMPLETELY removable and washes easily, and BEST of all, I didn't notice any significant shrinking to the fabric after a light drying cycle. Fisher-Price CLAIMS that it folds up flat, well, the frame does, but the seat doesn't! So don't expect it to be a compact item to store, though it is easier to store then some.

I will admit I have never used it with the sounds or music playing, but they seem VERY nice. We also barely used the toy bar. This was our nap spot most of the time, and by the time she was taking an interest in the toys, we really were done with it.


The LLB at 4 Days and then at 5 Months in her swing.

Product Information
Nature's Touch Baby Papasan Swing
Made by Fisher-Price
6-speed swing/cradle
Two swinging motions: front to back and side to side
Infant head support insert
Motorized mirrored mobile
8 songs and nature sounds
Two-position reclining seat
Priced at approximately $130
Find yours on Google

Buying Tip: Keep in mind that the standard infant will outgrow this swing fast er then other models because of the seat, I think it's GREAT for infants though! It's a cradle so once baby can sit upright it will start to lose its appeal. On the plus side the seat does have two settings, a more reclined position and upright position that might help it last a bit longer. There are MILLIONS of swings out there, it's just that this is the one I fell in love with.


Swinging From Chandeliers,
Bronwyn

No comments: